Top food blogs

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Another hot day, another cold slaw. Kohlrabi, Radish, and Carrot Slaw with BBQ Pork Ribs.

The heat and humidity lingers in the Berkshires. Well, it is summer after all. And it's a good excuse to head to Windsor Lake in North Adams, MA after Estelle wakes from her nap. After story time at the North Adams Library this morning and then racing with this little boy around the playground at Noel Field, she's out like a light.

With this sauna-like weather, I prefer to cook without using the oven. One great way to do this is to bust out the slow cooker. You might have a few cobwebs on there. I threw in some pork ribs and BBQ sauce. I make the BBQ sauce fresher and tastier by adding fresh-squeezed lemon juice and about 1/3 cup of ketchup. I sometimes make my own sauce, but I didn't feel such inspiration today.

I still had some kolhrabi from my recent trip to the North Adams Farmers' Market. The name kohlrabi comes from the German word for cabbage, kohl. It is similar in taste to a broccoli stem, but sweeter. But not as sweet as an apple. It's just right. It has a very clean, light, and fresh taste. Perfect for this heat. And because BBQ ribs go perfect with a slaw, I made this quick vinegar one out kohlrabi, radish, and carrot. Who says a slaw must be made with cabbage and mayo?


This is the slaw pre-dressing. 

In fact, I'm enjoying a bit of the slaw right now as I write this. It's even better the next day. 

Kohlrabi Slaw Recipe
1/2 medium kohlrabi julienned (4 cups loosely packed)
1 cup tightly packed grated carrots
8 baby radishes, sliced paper thin
chives for garnishing

Dressing:
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp white wine vinegar1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 pinches of sea salta grind of fresh black pepper
1 tbsp fresh snipped chives

Use a vegetable peeler or knife to remove the outer layer of the kohlrabi.  Using a mandolin or knife, carefully slice the kohlrabi into thin sheet slices.  Julienne each slice into matchsticks.  In a large bowl, add kohlrabi, grated carrots, and baby radishes and give a quick toss with your hands.  Make the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together Dijon, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and honey.  Stream in olive oil and whisk until combined.  Season with sea salt, black pepper and fresh snipped 
chives.  Pour over slaw and give it a good tossing.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Serves 4-6. 
Recipe from Green Thyme. 

Our dinner last night, kohlrabi slaw with the BBQ pork ribs. 

I have to confess something. I am not much of a breakfast eater. When I wake up, I want coffee first and prefer to eat leftovers or something more hearty. I had some leftover, cold ribs for breakfast. Delicious. 

To conclude,  I have to share a pic of my little girl, Estelle. This was taken yesterday. She's 2 and already enjoys spending time with me in the vegetable garden. She loves to water the garden and look for worms. She gets excited when she sees the cucumbers growing. She is understanding how things work. I hope this will stay with her for a lifetime. I grew up spending time with my mom and sisters in the garden. The tradition continues...



No comments: