Top food blogs

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Farm Fresh Stuffed Bell Peppers with Zucchini & Ground Turkey

The tomatoes in my garden have been slow. We've only had a couple of ripe ones so far. I usually supplement my produce with visits to Racine's Farm in Adams, MA. But, they too, have experienced this tomato problem. They didn't have any when I went a couple of days ago. At least I know it wasn't something I did as a gardener; it's climate-related. On the other hand, there's plenty of zucchini. And Racine's also had some beautiful, verdant peppers.


They were so perfect that I had to showcase them. The best way to do this was to stuff them and I had to throw in some zucchini, of course. 




I should mention the upcoming Zucchini Fest in West Stockbridge -http://www.weststockbridgetown.com/ZFest2013PressRelease.html. I won't be able to go this year, but I would not shy away from any festival celebrating local food! 

You can make these vegetarian by adding more veggies and omitting the turkey. Or make them vegan by using just veggies and omitting the turkey and the cheese. 

Stuffed Green Peppers with Zucchini and Ground Turkey
Ingredients
3 bell peppers 
1 medium-sized zucchini 
1 cup rice (cooked)1/2 pound ground turkey
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tomato or 1 cup of tomato sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese and more for topping
Fresh basil, oregano, thyme, and chives (I use a handful of each) 
salt 
pepper
olive oil 

Directions

First, cut off the tops of the peppers. I sometimes cut them sideways (like I did in the pic above). Remove the membranes and the seeds. Then, bring a large pot of water with to boil, add a dash of salt and the peppers. Let the peppers boil for 5 minutes. Remove them and let them drain on a plate or some paper towels. Cook a 1/2 cup rice in 1 1/4 cup of water, and set this aside once the rice is done (about 10 minutes, give or take). Just watch for all the water to be soaked up. 
Cook the ground turkey with salt and pepper. 
Use a fine chop on the following: garlic, onion, zucchini, and tomato. Get a large skillet and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Heat it up on medium. After a few minutes, add the zucchini and cook for a couple minutes. Finally, add the 1/4 cup of parmesan and the tomato or the tomato sauce. 
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Put the cooked rice and turkey into skillet with the vegetables. Add the fresh herbs and then spoon this into the peppers and be sure to fill them right up.  Place the peppers upright in a baking dish and add more parmesan cheese on top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes. 


1 comment:

Janice said...

They sound delicious. What kind of weather have you had that has affected the tomatoes so much?