Top food blogs

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Farm Stand Corn Chowder with Bacon and Cheddar

The corn in the Berkshires is so sweet and perfect at this very moment. And just like summer, the corn is fleeting. For this reason, I find myself eating corn a few times a week. Fortunately, no one in the family is protesting. Not even the toddler. My almost three-year-old can polish off two or more ears at dinner. Quite impressive. I might have to enter her in next year's corn eating contest at Whitney's Farm in Cheshire, MA. I wonder if you win more corn...

I need to cut to the chase here as this corn chowder is so delicious and transporting. And we know that we're about to blink and leave this summer world behind. So get to that local farm and buy some corn and make this recipe, especially as some of the nights are getting cooler. Carpe corn! I know, very corny! Sorry, I can't resist a good pun. 


What I love about this recipe is that it is over-the-top because of the bacon, cheddar, potatoes, and carrots. It is loaded! If you're going to do something, do it right! 



The recipe starts with five perfect ears of local corn. Cleaning them is best done outside. And removing the kernels can be a bit messy.
Look at that fresh corn!


The best chowder around here is corn chowder. It's captures our elusive Berkshire summer...
I had two bowls of this soup tonight. And I had little room for anything else. I am satiated in body and spirit. I know that when those cold winds return and I can recall the taste of this fresh corn chowder and this will help me endure the harshest cabin fever just knowing summer will indeed return. 

Farm Stand Corn Chowder with Bacon and Cheddar
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
10 servings

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
5 ears of fresh corn - remove the kernels 
2 medium red potatoes
1/4 cup of flour
3 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of 2% milk or half and half (or a combo)
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1 cup of Monterey Jack
A few dashes of Tabasco (more or less to your liking)
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
Fresh chives chopped for garnish
Salt and Pepper

Directions

Melt the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrot, and celery. Season these veggies with salt and pepper and cook them for two minutes. Add the bacon and cook for three minutes. Then add the corn and stir well. Add the flour over the top and stir well. Pour the broth in and let it thicken for a few minutes. Pour in the milk or half and half. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the thyme and Tabasco. 

Stir in the cheeses and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped chives. 




2 comments:

Ally said...

I'm droooling just reading the ingredients and the photos are killin' me! Love corn and soups...so together, you've hit my sweet spot! xo

Ally said...

Love love this recipe...the flavors and the ingredients! Corn is one of my fave veggies and soups rock! Great job!! xo